[Air-l] an emerging social phenomenon on the web

Ellis Godard ellis.godard at csun.edu
Tue Nov 22 13:47:19 PST 2005

"95 percent" seems an exaggeration. There are groups whose content is
largely flames, but my doctoral research confirmed previous indications
that, Usenet-wide, less than 10% of messages are flames, and far less in
some groups. On the other hand, I also uncovered factors that may generate
online "gangs" such as are described below, though the elements of that are
only subtly included in my dissertation.

-eg