[Air-l] Facebook, myspace

Lauren Squires squires at virginia.edu
Wed Nov 30 13:18:54 PST 2005

Yes, you have to be someone's friend on all three sites, as far as I know,
to leave a comment/testimonial/wallpost.  What I mean is that the user has
to approve a testimonial on Friendster before it appears on the site.  So if
we are friendsters, and I want to leave you a testimonial, I write it but
then you have to *approve* it in order for it to go on your profile page.
Otherwise it just sits in queue waiting for you to approve/reject it. So,
presumably on Friendster you wouldn't be able to leave public messages
posthumously because the person you are writing to/about is unavailable to
approve the comments, so they never go public.

On Myspace, you can change settings so that comments must be approved by you
before they appear, but I think the default is that they appear without
having had been approved; from my experience as a user this is the setting
most people choose. I haven't actively used Facebook, but as far as I know
you also don't have to approve posts for them to appear public.

The fact that only people who are already established as "friends" can
comment is also an interesting one in terms of eulogizing (not to make this
discussion very morbid, but...), as it effectively seals one's network at
time of death (well I suppose death itself does that) and so who gets to
comment at this memorial site depends on who established themself as the
deceased's "friend" in this particular way. All of this, of course, depends
on no one else having the information to access someone's account (as Barry
mentioned, this might not be the case) in order to edit it. But I've often
wondered how the sites themselves deal with death of members - can family
get in touch with them and ask that their pages be shut down?

Someone who knows more about the three systems (and others) might correct me
if I'm wrong!

Lauren