[Air-l] Blogging basics?

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Wed Nov 30 14:20:21 PST 2005

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

at least in the history of media such as movies and then radio, it was the
theologically conservative (in the sense of promoting a strongly traditional
/ Orthodox view) Evangelical protestants who jumped the quickest and with
the most enthusiasm into the then-new technologies - alongside, certainly,
the more marginalized / liberal / alternative religious communities.
They were eventually followed by theologically conservative, but more
"mainstream" (to use Martin Marty's definitions) Protestants and Roman
Catholics.
The same pattern appears to have occurred vis-à-vis the Internet and its
various modes of CMC.
So, while I shudder at the thought (really) of disagreeing with Jeremy on
these sorts of matters, I'd want to know more about what counts as
"progressive" (rather than, as Mary Virnoche suggested, "innovative") - so
that theologically (very) conservative Evangelicals might count as
progressive in the sense he has in mind.

cheers,
cX

>> actually, yes, it is a given.  the adoption of new technologies falls
>> into the progressive and not the conservative end of one of the
>> politico-normative axes.  another axis is liberal-authoritarian. another
>
> at this point blogging is being widely adopted by technologically
> semi-progressive political conservatives.
>
> technologically progressive political liberals were first, but not quite
> as much weight can be given to them now... they're not the only ones in
> the game.
>
> --elijah

Charles Ess

Distinguished Research Professor,
Interdisciplinary Studies <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html

Co-chair, CATaC'06: http://www.catacconference.org
Co-chair, ECAP'06: http://www.eu-cap.org

Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway
http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23