[Air-l] Birth of virtual communities

John Campbell jcampbell at asc.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 4 06:56:53 PST 2005

Emile,

Are you only interested in asynchronistic online community formations such
as Yahoo! news groups or mailing lists?  Or are you also considering chat
rooms on IRC, AOL, and even ICUII?  If you are interested in chat rooms, I
discuss the birth of an online community on IRC in my book, Getting It On
Online.  The study focuses on three gay-male chat rooms on IRC and, to an
extent, their historical development.  Notably, one of the chat rooms --
#gaymusclebears -- came into existence when a group of individuals chatting
on #gaymuscle felt that the existing community did not adequately reflect
their erotic ideals.

You could also look at the proliferation of web-sites speaking to ever more
specific identities.  For instance, there has been an explosion of web-sites
oriented towards the gay-male "bear" phenomenon (see Bear411.com), and more
recently, a growing number of web-sites that speak to a distinct subcultural
group within the "bear community" known as "musclebears" (see
BigMuscleBears.com or BeefyBoyz.com).  Many of these sites include various
chat functions and internal messaging services for members and could be
identified as vibrate online communities.

Very best,

John Campbell