[Air-l] Research Request: Philosophy of Design

Andrew Wenn andrew.wenn at vu.edu.au
Sun Nov 27 14:02:44 PST 2005

Hi Ken,

There have been quite a few publications on this area. Some more
general than others. Some of the philosophy of technology
publications might give you what you want.

For journals try Techné at http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/SPT/
spt.html
also see:
Berg, M. 1998, 'The Politics of Technology: On Bringing Social Theory
into Technological Design', Science Technology and Human Values, vol.
23(4), pp. 456-490.

Kupersmith, J. and Mitchell, B. A. 1998, 'You Are Here, but Where Is
That?: Architectural Design Metaphors in the Electronic Library', in
Finding Common Ground: Creating the Library of the Future without
Diminishing the Library of the Past, ed. LaGuardia, C., Neal-Schuman,
New York, NY, pp. 58-67.

Books by Don Ihde or Carl Mitchum

Bucciarelli, L. 1994, Designing Engineers, The MIT Press, Cambridge,
Mass.

Winograd, T. and Flores, F. 1987, Understanding Computers and
Cognition: A New Foundation for Design, Addison-Wesley, Reading, M.A.

Misa, T. J., Brey, P. and Feenberg, A. (eds) 2003, Modernity and
Technology, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.

I am reading Veerbeek, P.-P. 2000(2005), What Things Do:
Philosophical Reflections on Technology, Agency and Design, Crease,
R. P. Trans., Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park,
PA. at the moment and particularly enjoying it.

Andrew Wenn.

--
School of Information Systems
Victoria University

Hunter, M. G., Burgess, S. and Wenn, A. (eds) 2005, Small Business
and Information Technology: Research Techniques and International
Case Studies, Heidelberg Press, Melbourne.
email: andrew.wenn at vu.edu.au
web: http://homepage.mac.com/andrewwenn/

phone: +61 3 9919 4342
fax: +61 3 9919 5024