[Air-l] Fwd: [school-discuss] $100.00 laptop

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 03:23:45 PDT 2005

Okay,

Great on the $100 laptop. But how many people on this
list have actually worked in Africa?

Well I have, and I lived in a locked compound on an
agricultural resarch station and the number one
problem on the station was theft. I had a full time
cook who checked up on my house during the day and a
guard that patrolled the buildings at night.

All I had in the building was some furniture, a lamp
and some clothes, no computers. I had a camera in
there. The computers were kept elsewhere in a double
locked room. The gates to the compound were also
locked at night. There were as I mentioned, patrolling
guards.

Down the road from us was the power station.  It was
surrounded by a DOUBLE barbed wire fence with a height
of at least 2.5 meters. To keep people from stealing
the electrical wire.

Well and fine but how long are those laptops going to
stay in the hands of the children they are meant to
help. Maybe if the kid also has a handy AK-47.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
Room T2.12, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Tuesdays or Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html