[Air-l] Reminder - IR 6/Chicago blogging, tagging, wiki, IRC, survey, etc.

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Oct 7 05:23:21 PDT 2005

Greetings to those of you in Chicago for IR 6 and to those of you not
here with us!

This is but a quick note to reiterate the information already sent (see
below), to inform those of you not in Chicago for the conference that
internet access had been spotty yesterday (Thursday), and to encourage
all of you to please use the options we've made available this year for
online participation.

Thank you, and take care,
Sj

--------------------
I write to remind everyone of the several internet options we are
making available for online participation in this year's conference. I
have pasted below the text of a message previously sent to air-l that
includes information about these options.

Several people have emailed concerning blogging, so let me say a bit
more about it. The easiest way to find who's blogging the conference
and to access the blogs is to tag blog postings and to use the
conference wiki. For more information about tagging the conference see
http://emt.url123.com/aoir6. All of the following services use tags:

Flickr
Smugmug
Wists
Technorati
BlogMarks
43 Things
del.icio.us
Tagsurf
Furl
Upcoming.org
Jots
de.lirio.us
Consumating

For those of you who are blogging from the conference using another
service or your own server, you can set up an account at del.icio.us,
or, if you don't want a del.icio.us account but you want to share links
(be they to your own blog or whatever you'd like) just sign in with
login aoir and password chicago and start bookmarking. Similarly, if
you are not blogging but just want to read blogs, look at the bookmarks
and tags once you have logged in with that common username/password.

If you don't have a blog but you'd like to write about the conference
just email it to erickaakcire.aoir -at- blogger d0t com. This is not a
person's email address but a direct way to actually post to the group
blog. The title of your message is the title of the blog post and the
body of the message is the post itself. Please include your name and
affiliation.

For any questions/problems email Ericka at emtrevino -at- gmail d0t com
or AIM erickaakcire.

Sj

-----------text of previous air-l message------------

We have made arrangements for several internet-based tools to be used
during the upcoming conference in Chicago, for both participants who
will be at the conference as well as for those of you unable to be
here. All should be up and running by Thursday, Oct. 6, and some, like
the wiki, are already available.

1. Tag This Conference! aoir and aoir6

You're it. We need your help to make it easy for all of us to find the
websites, pictures & blog entries related to the conference. Just use
the tags aoir and aoir6 in del.icio.us, Flickr or with Technorati, then
check out http://www.technorati.com/tag/aoir or aoir6 for the combined
results.

What is tagging? It's a way to give online content a little extra
context by adding keywords called tags. Usually people tag their own
collections of bookmarks or photographs so that they can find them
later, but they can also be used to help other people find online
content. When we agree to use the same tag it's easy for everyone to
find things.

What are del.icio.us, Flickr and Technorati? Del.icio.us is a social
bookmarks manager where users save their links. Anything with a URL can
be bookmarked in del.icio.us and described by tags and extended notes.
Flickr is a popular photo sharing site that uses tags. Technorati is a
blog indexing site and it collects the tags that bloggers use to
describe their posts. It also displays information from del.icio.us and
Flickr in its results.

Don't want to sign up for these services? No signing up required! Visit
http://emt.url123.com/aoir6 for details.

2. The Backchannel

Don't wait until the question and answer session to discuss an
interesting presentation with your colleagues. Share ideas and comment
on papers as they're delivered via Internet Relay Chat (IRC). Each of
the AoIR conference rooms has a corresponding chat room for backchannel
discussion. Connection details and recommended chat clients will be
posted in each room.

Increasingly popular at technology conferences and in college
classrooms, backchannel discussions allow for quick fact checking and
can create a greater sense of community amongst both audience members
and presenters.

More details about the server and channels will be made available soon.

3. The Conference wiki

A wiki is available for each conference session (organized by session,
http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=Internet_Research_6.0, as well as
by meeting room,
http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=Internet_Research_6.0:
_Theme_Pages). Whether you are a presenter, conference participants,
AoIR member or air-l subscriber, share your thoughts about each session
here.

4. Internet Survey

How familiar are you with some of the trendiest Internet developments
(such as wikis and blogs)? Would you like to compare your media
consumption with that of your parents (and/or children)? Please take 10
minutes of your time to complete a "Generations Survey". When you
finish the questionnaire, you will see a snapshot of the general
results. The resulting data will be available to the conference
attendees, AoIR members and subscribers to the AoIR e-mail list
(air-l). All respondents will be anonymous.

Link:

http://generations-survey.notlong.com

These efforts to use the internet to enhance conference participation
are part of a project organized by graduate students at the University
of Illinois at Chicago. Data from them will be made anonymous and
analyzed for coursework. Thanks particularly to David Elfving and
Ericka Menchen Trevino for their work on the technology for it.