[Air-l] Information and knowledge (air-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 9)

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 13 05:45:14 PDT 2005

At the forthcoming Annual Meeting of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology there will be a session to discuss
the outcome of a research project that built a "Knowledge map of
information science", carried out by Dr. C. Zins, from Haifa, using a
critical Delphi technique see:
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM05/abstracts/176.html
As part of this, as noted in the introductory final report  "Forty five
scholars formulated about 130 definitions" of data, information and
knowledge, that yielded 6 discrete models.
There is a blog to ask questions to the session participants.

My 2 oz. of crude on that recurrent theme is that perhaps part of the
trouble comes from the desperate attempt at figuring out the conditions
under which one entity (data information or knowledge) becomes another
one, when in fact all the 3 entities, and a few more may be, do
a) coexist independantly
b) interact
c) combine and recombine

Michel