[Air-l] thanks - podcasting...

pwelsch at indiana.edu pwelsch at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 16 12:05:06 PDT 2005

> I thought the main difference might be that podcasts (and the reason
> putting up mp3 files/tunes/journals/speeches etc on the web is now
> being referred to as "podcasts" ) is that podcasts can be  integrated
> with  itunes (or even yahoo podcasting etc) and downloaded on to
> ipods, nanos, shuffles etc.

The introduction of the Wikipedia article on Podcasting does a nice job of
dancing along the distinction...

"Podcasting" in its strictest sense is distinct from other types of online
media delivery because of its subscription model, which uses a feed (such
as RSS or Atom) to deliver an enclosed file... [SNIP] since computer
jargon is frequently misused, the word "Podcast" is frequently used to
describe the posting of any link to a media-player-compatible audio file
(typically MP3) on a website."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

Pete Welsch - pwelsch at indiana.edu