[Air-l] Chicago Follow-Up - late response (as usual)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 15:42:25 PDT 2005

Dear Air-ers -

Regarding AoIR follow-up I thought perhaps the
comments from Matt Allen were quite pertinent and
realized that only those at the meeting might have
heard them.

In further discussion of how to sponsor more graduate
students to the meetings (always a worry) Matt raised
an excellent point:

Putting together ALL of our extra funds that could be
solicited from members' generousity would only support
airfare  for one or (at most) two graduate students.

Matt pointed out that by moving the conference AROUND
the world, AoIR has facilitated the attendance and
participation of many more graduate students in the
conference vicinity than could be supported by a
fellowship/scholarship/sponsorship.

My contribution at the meeting was that the conference
registration form could include a $10 or $25 dollar
button for donations to graduate students or prizes.
Also a button for purchase of a tee shirt, giving the
exec some heads-up about tee shirt numbers.

Ok, I know that all of these things take effort and
time and especially an expenditure for those who are
thinking of attending in Australia.

I'm excited to see AoIR come to Australia and I hope
many members make the jump and come and see us 'down
under.'

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, Ph.D. submitted for review, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
At SCU: Room T2.12, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Tuesdays or Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html