[Air-l] Fwd: [school-discuss] $100.00 laptop

Charlie Breindahl charlie.breindahl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 04:35:00 PDT 2005

I agree. Still, the stereotype might apply to a large proportion of African
countries and even the rest of the world's poorest countries. Poor as in
"selling your child into slavery so that the child can at least survive"
poor. Under such circumstances, I just don't see the kid proudly toting a
brand-new laptop strolling down the street to school. Denise has a good
point (and so has Radhika). It is very, very unlikely that those laptops are
going to do much good for the kids they were intended for.

Best,
Charlie

On 10/3/05, Paul Chenoweth <chenowethp at mail.belmont.edu> wrote:

> Denise,
> Ouch! I do not doubt your experience in Africa, however, your comment
> sounds like a terribly generalised condemnation of an entire continent.
>
> Paul
>
> --
Charlie Breindahl
External Lecturer
University of Copenhagen + IT University of Copenhagen

Web: http://staff.hum.ku.dk/hitch/
Phone: +45 35 32 81 14
Mobile: +45 51 92 15 98
E-mail: hitch at hum.ku.dk

"For the modern Don Quixote, the windmills have been preprogrammed to turn
into knights"
- Janet H. Murray