[Air-l] suggestions

黄佩 huangpei at pku.edu.cn
Wed Oct 19 18:59:17 PDT 2005

Dear aoirers,

My name is Pei(the same pronunciation as pay), a phd student from
Peking University, China.

Professor Barry Wellman introduced me to this listservs, which is a
new experience to me. Interesting...

I am now doing some work on Internet use and undergraduate student's
first career attainment.(actually including job, continued
study,etc.). I saw a large number of literature on getting job and
social network, especially Granovette's work at 1973.

I see that in today's campus(campus especially in China),students live
in a wired environment and wired life has become a lifestyle. I wonder
whether different internet use patterns will be connected to the first
career of those undergraduates.I choose undergraduates because in my
university they have an ethernet system which boasts one of the best
ones around universities all over the country and they actually build
up relationships, communities which may influence their interactions,
their way of thinking, even their value system.

But I know that it is so hard to link media use with value system, or
the social network. I feel it hard to find other variables in between.
For a lot of time, I think of the legitimacy of building connections
between internet use and career attainment, not only in searching
process, but also about final type of career.

Anyone has suggestions?

thanks a lot

Pei