[Air-l] New Doctoral Programme

OII Enquiries enquiries at oii.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 08:41:14 PDT 2005

OXFORD UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES MULTIDISCIPLINARY DOCTORAL PROGRAMME FOCUSED ON
INTERNET STUDIES

The Oxford Internet Institute is now accepting worldwide applications from
candidates who want to study the Internet and its social impact.  We are a
department of Oxford University chartered to pioneer the multidisciplinary
study of the Internet. The Institute is dedicated to engaging in fruitful
collaboration with policy makers, technologists, businesspeople, teachers,
scholars and civil society entrepreneurs to inform and ground our research.
We seek to understand the most difficult and relevant social puzzles,
problems, and opportunities as the mainstream Internet enters the second
decade of a multi-year buildout transforming the fundamentals of work,
politics, education, entertainment, social interaction, and conflict.

A small group of full-time doctoral students will join the OII in October
2006. Candidates must demonstrate talent, creativity, and zeal to perform
outstanding research that will make a difference to the world -- to ask
original, concrete questions, to adopt incisive methodologies by which to
approach those questions, and ultimately to help positively shape the
development of digital networked space and the peoples whose lives it
affects.

For more information on the OII's D.Phil programme in Information,
Communication and the Social Sciences, please visit
<www.oii.ox.ac.uk/teaching/>.

Kind Regards,

Eleanor.
-------