[Air-l] off topic: Hurricane Katrina Relief for affected students and faculty

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Sep 2 19:38:00 PDT 2005

We're offering space to students at UIC as well, the last I heard is
that 90 have inquired as of yesterday, but I don't know how many have,
or will, enroll, or from how many more we may hear. We're also working
with faculty from the affected regions on a case by case basis. It's
really heartening to see these efforts (which can be substantial...for
instance, our term started two weeks ago, students will be behind,
there may not be space in classes or in student housing, they will need
advising, they may need counseling, and so on, and for faculty
assistance there are challenges too), to work on it feels much more
directly like something we can affect. The pleas for monetary donations
are important, of course and while I do not disagree with the need for
money, giving money only sometimes feels insufficient, at least to me.

Perhaps bringing this topic a bit back into the 'usual' air-l arena,
does anyone know if there has been any research on the effectiveness of
online solicitations for charitable donations (whether for disaster
relief or other needs), and/or comparison of them to non-internet
solicitations?

Sj

On Sep 2, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> This list should encourage everyone to approach their university; the
> situation is nightmarish. Perhaps work can be found on a custodial
> level as well, anything - Alan
>

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Nancy Baym wrote:
>
>> University of Kansas is doing the same, though I don't think we're
>> taking in faculty, just students.
>>
>> Nancy
>>

>>> VIRGINIA TECH TO OFFER ADMISSIONS TO STUDENTS AFFECTED BY HURRICANE
>>> KATRINA
>>> BLACKSBURG, Sept. 2, 2005 -- Virginia Tech will offer specialized
>>> admissions to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina and its
>>> aftermath.
>>>  "We will offer admission for non-degree status on a case by case
>>> basis
>>> to qualified undergraduate or graduate students for the fall and/or
>>> spring semester.
>>> Displaced faculty in hurricane
>>> affected areas interested in visiting faculty status are encouraged
>>> contact Provost Mark McNamee, (540) 231-6123.
>>> jeremy hunsinger
>>> jhuns at vt.edu
>>> www.cddc.vt.edu
>>> jeremy.tmttlt.com