[Air-l] an Ess-ian Q: when does the personal becomes public?

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Sep 5 10:32:31 PDT 2005

This though is not private convo.  Private convo would be sequestered
from the hearing of others in some manner, by some indication or
method.    To me, this conversation seems to me to have been held at
a public event.

Recently people asked me whether i thought i should take pictures at
an nsf sponsored event indicating that they thought it was improper
for me to take pictures without permission. My answer was that for
amateur photography at a publicly sponsored event, i don't think that
i need to ask permission even if you might want me to ask
permission.   There is a basic need for some the desire for privacy
and what people think is/should be private is remarkably unclear
cross-culturally.     however, many people do not recognize the same
legitimizing or justificatory practices for assumed privacy,
therefor, i think people should always tell people when things are
meant to be private or held in confidence, otherwise you have to
expect people to interpret the situation on their perceptions.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers