[Air-l] Just testing... - Sorry and a nice case on privacy

Lilia Efimova mathemagenic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:03:41 PDT 2005

Took me a couple of minutes to understand what it is :)

I was testing http://www.zoominfo.com/ that is supposed to collect
info about someone online in one space (was wondering how much on me
is there - re: http://blog.mathemagenic.com/2005/09/14.html#a1667).

Between other things it has a feature that allows you to send email to
the person you are searching for without disclosing it. I was
wondering what email it had in the system for me and send a message to
myself - and it got posted to AOIR :(

So, as everyone could see now, it assumes that I have two emails one
of which is air-l at aoir.org

Tools like this one obviousely add a very specific spin to all
discussions we may have on privacy and ethics....

Lilia

On 9/14/05, Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
> I can see your email address, thus it is disclosed.  what is this
> about rss?   i think you'll find the email to rss experience to be
> problematic.   the communicative assumptions of the two media systems
> are different in  that email is a push, vs rss/web is a pull.
> On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Lilia wrote:
>
> >  <http://www.zoominfo.com/images/zoominfo/zoominfo.gif>
> >
> > Please Note:
> > This email has been sent to you through the ZoomInfo search engine
> > (www.zoominfo.com) without disclosing your email address to the
> > sender.
> > Your personal summary can be found at
> > http://www.zoominfo.com/PeopleSearch/PersonDetail.asp?
> > PersonID=450001620
> > _____
> >
> > Cheking if it works :)

> > http://www.aoir.org/
> >

> jeremy hunsinger
> jhuns at vt.edu
> www.cddc.vt.edu
> jeremy.tmttlt.com
> www.tmttlt.com
>
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
> /\                        - against microsoft attachments
> http://www.aoir.org The Associatiion of Internet Researchers

Lilia Efimova
PhD researcher, Telematica Instituut

Telematica Instituut: http://www.telin.nl