[Air-l] The future of mobile iTV

Fiona Martin fmartin at scu.edu.au
Mon Sep 12 17:50:07 PDT 2005

Hi all,

You can view some newly launched Australian
mobile content prototypes at
<http://www.dlux.org.au/mobilejourneys/> ...and
yes they do clearly remediate  the logics of
genre, form etc.  As is the nature of developing
media. In his Introductory History of British
Broadcasting Andrew Crisell says in the first
8-10 years of television broadcasting the BBC had
little conception of the medium's potential.  Not
surprising really, given our need to build new
creative logics through processual or
performative understandings. It's interesting for
example to track Flash aesthetics developing (see
Anna Munster
<hypertext.rmit.edu.au/dac/papers/Munster.pdf>)

There is a tendency, as Jeremy suggested, for
productive relationships to be shaped by the
political conditions of remediation - that is, we
approach producing within the old team
structures, with a previously useful skill set
and suite of practices (budgets, deadlines,
ethics etc) only to find that we need more money,
more time, new code, more bandwidth, and better
lawyers.  A few experiments later,  things start
to get interesting...

In answer to Anxo's question - and this is
somewhat unformed thought - I'd like to see
current affairs content where users can post
multimedia responses to local events/issues and
pose challenges to politicians or bureaucrats,
and games with a quest or
participatory/collaborative focus rather than
vote and dismiss.

best,
Fiona

--
Fiona Martin
Lecturer in Journalism & Media Production

ph: +61 2 6620 3126
fx: +61 2 6622 1683
e: fmartin at scu.edu.au