[Air-l] Supporting AoIR's systems

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Sep 6 06:47:59 PDT 2005

A few days ago  our president elect Matt Allen posted a call for
volunteers for AoIR to take over the jobs that Charlie and I have
been performing for the last few years.   I suggest that if you have
any inclination in the arena of unix-based systems, web design, list
management, etc.   that you volunteer, it is a great way to get
involved with AoIR and you will be appreciated for the work that you
do.  for me, working in this capacity in AoIR has been an enjoyable
and rewarding professional and academic experience.   It also should
be said that as members of the executive committee, that both
position have voting rights and can voice their opinions on a myriad
of issues involving the future of AoIR.

Matt's posting said:

Dear Air-listers

Having just elected a new executive, it is now time to seek
expressions of interest from members (or people who will become
members) to serve as the

Systems Administrator and
Systems Manager

for AoIR.

Formally, "the Systems Administrator is responsible for the
association's technical systems on which its Web site, e-mail list
and other means of Internet communication operate. The Systems
Manager is responsible for the content and appearance of the
association's Web site and other means of Internet communication
(except its e-mail lists)." (by-laws). However the exact split in
responsibilities will depend on who we appoint and what skills/
interests they have.

Both of the current, wonderful people doing these jobs - Jeremy
Hunsinger and Charlie Briendahl - are moving on to other things and
we will miss them dearly for all the great work they have done for
AoIR. However, it is also a new beginning, allowing others the chance
to become involved.

These two officers will be appointed by the executive and are full
members of the executive.

Here are the kind of skills we are looking for

General Skills:
Server maintenance; SSH and Unix command line; Ability to work with
remote support;

Current System Specific Skills:
Dreamhost Panel and linux via ssh including:
Mailman -Mailing Lists; SMTP/POP/IMAP  Email System; jabber server;
php/mysql WWW apps.
Skills in managing email lists, dealing with interfaces such as that
used for the AoiR website etc

We use the following installed web systems
Open Conference System; Mediawiki; Drupal; Forums

Ability to:
troubleshoot php/mysql; install and upgrade web applications; to read
and troubleshoot SQL and database systems.

For further information, and to express an interest in these two
positions, please email m.allen at curtin.edu.au
  .

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers