[Air-l] Re: Teaching Hurricane Katrina (Lois Ann Scheidt)

Tama Leaver tama at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 10 00:42:02 PDT 2005

Hi Lois et al,

I'll be using some of the many citizen journalism/blogosphere responses
to Katrina as a case study in my Communication Studies unit
iGeneration: Digital Communication & Participatory Culture (http://i-
generation.blogspot.com/).  I'm particularly interested in the way the
blogosphere and mainstream media found common cause against the
extremely slow response of the US Federal government and the way
mainstream and citizen journalists hit a symbiotic approach, far more so
than these two groups have in the past.  In my personal blog, I wrote a
series of posts with some of the key links ...
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-aftermath-politics-
citizen.html
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-aftermath-politics-
citizen_04.html
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-aftermath-politics-
citizen_05.html
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-aftermath-politics-
citizen_08.html
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/kayne-west-voicing-
anguish.html
http://ponderance.blogspot.com/2005/09/kayne-west-political-mashup-
george.html
... and I'll be using these as a reference point for students to engage
with the many, many online responses to Katrina.  My three starting
points will be: (1) Kayne West's speech, the responses in all online
media, and then the politics of the new, unauthorised mashup/remix of
West's words with his #1 chart hit; (2) the way television and other
"older" media are being used/quoted/remixed in blogs, especially in the
Crooks & Liars (http://crooksandliars.com/) blog which has many, many
(copyrighted) excerpts from mainstream TV; and (3) a compassion of
the speed at which the Katrina Information Map
(http://www.scipionus.com/) was constructed versus the  snail's pace at
which such information became available through any government
authorities (incl. FEMA). I also expect students will come fully armed
with their own interesting links and positions regarding the mediated

This seminar won't be until October, but if you (or others on the list) are
interested, I can post a follow-up on how my student's responded.

Regards,
Tama Leaver

---
Tama Leaver (Mr)
English, Communication and Cultural Studies (M202)
University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009 Australia

Fax: +61 8 6488 1030