[Air-l] Fwd: [school-discuss] $100.00 laptop

J. J. japeks at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:04:16 PDT 2005

from the MIT laptop site:

Why is it important for each child to have a computer? What's wrong with
community-access centers?

One does not think of community pencils—kids have their own. They are tools
to think with, sufficiently inexpensive to be used for work and play,
drawing, writing, and mathematics. A computer can be the same, but far more
powerful. Furthermore, there are many reasons it is important for a child to
"own" something—like a football, doll, or book—not the least of which being
that these belongings will be well-maintained through love and care.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

I guess we don't talk much about grey markets for pencils, do we?

Jarek