[Air-l] Fwd: [school-discuss] $100.00 laptop

Joanne Jacobs joanne at joannejacobs.net
Wed Sep 28 17:13:29 PDT 2005

I agree that the objective is to drive down the price of the technology.
But that's not what a *scam* imitation will do.

Let me explain with an example. My partner recently returned from Shenzhen
in China with a USB flash card, badged as a Sony VAIO device, and claiming
to store 4GB of data.  He picked this device up for about US$30.  He put it
into his machine, and sure enough the device registered as storing 4GB of
data.  But once you actually put more than 128MB of data on the device, and
tried to access any of the files, it would simply stop functioning and could
not even be reformatted again.

The object of the scam imitation was not to drive the price of USB thumb
drives down, but to *appear* to operate as a 4GB device whilst actually
using cheaper parts, rebadged.

To be honest I have no problem with knockoff devices if they function with
the same or similar integrity of the originals.  And I hate buying labels
just because they are labels.  My concern is with devices that appear to
operate in accordance with specifications but actually do not.
Economically, the effect of such an eventuality is actually to *drive prices
of original devices up*.  Because there is a need to delineate the real from
the knock-off, the "De Beers effect" arises, and legitimate companies need
to invest in expensive watermarking of products to ensure product integrity
- and without a doubt the cost of developing such proof of product integrity
is passed on to the consumer.

It's probably more of an economic argument than a technological one.  But
it's still a concern that needs to be addressed.

Joanne Jacobs, Project Manager
Australasian CRC for Interaction Design (ACID)
A Commonwealth Cooperative Research Centre
http://www.joannejacobs.net/