[Air-l] Old Commercials of Technology

Barry.Smith at bristol.ac.uk Barry.Smith at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Apr 6 11:38:32 PDT 2006

Dear Fernando, Paul, Mary and List

A fascinating topic and i won't repeat in full here the recent DRHA
conference call (see http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha06/index.asp if
not familiar, Sept 3-6) but it will be loosely based on
a "past", "present", "future" structure so I hope some/several
research presentations (and one keynote) will be in this first
category....  Ah the romanticism of it all...

In terms of direct help (or perhaps more indirect help as "promotions"
and "mentions" rather than "commercials" per se) to your project the
Barbican (London) had a retro exhibition of games' machines in 1998
and the effective catalogue was "re:play" (Liz Faber, published by
Laurence King UK) which has some excellent reproductions of graphics
from a wide selection of both console and Net-based games.  In that
latter context "Atlas of Cyberspace" (Martin Dodge and Rob Kitchin,
published by Addison-Wesley (UK) 2001 included (Ch 3) Mapping the
Web.  Perha[s of more immediate interest (and access) if you're more
interested in post WW2 images of British-back-to-being-housewives
women lovingly stocking up their new fridges or doing the vacuum
cleaning with gusto, sites like the Google (beta) Video archive at
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2207857877868779946&q=housewife
might prove interesting.
Also Macfilms claims to locate 624 TV ads from the 1950s and 60s -
everything from new gadgets to blood donations - see
http://www.macfilms.com/TV%20Ads%20TOC.htm

And don't forget the conference!:-)

b.
Barry Smith