[Air-l] Democracy & Independence: Sharing News & Politics in a Connected World - Conference - June 29 - July 1 2006

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Fri Apr 7 08:41:18 PDT 2006

This should be a great conference for Internet researchers interested in
online citizen media as well as e-politics.  - Steven Clift

Democracy & Independence:
Sharing News & Politics in a Connected World

   Summit aims to unite media, political, education, technology
   sectors in charting the future of journalism

   June 29 - July 1, 2006
   University of Massachusetts Amherst

For the full details on the conference, see:

   http://www.mediagiraffe.org/invite-dowire

If you register for "Tracks 1-5" I've worked out a $50 dollar discount. For
"Tracks 2-5" the discount is $25. Simply put "DOWIRE" in the bottom
"Optional Information" comment box.

This conference is uniquely positioned to convene those engaged in politics
and citizen engagement online with a larger gathering of new media and
journalism leaders.

Register from here:

   http://www.mediagiraffe.org/invite-dowire

Quick Details

Hundreds of traditional and citizen journalists, political strategists,
educators, bloggers, developers, technology and media researchers will
convene June 29-July 1, 2006 at University of Massachusetts Amherst for the
first Media Giraffe Project conference.

The Media Giraffe Project, a non-partisan, interdisciplinary research effort
of the UMass journalism program, is hosting the roundtable summit and how-to
sessions designed to:

 * Consider and recommend answers to changes to the financing and
   practice of journalism
 * Bridge the gap between new and traditional media
 * Show and consider the impact of new media technologies on
   journalism and the "public sphere"
 * Spotlight emerging business models
 * Create new networks of media innovators which bridge traditional
   carriers among journalism, education, politics and technology
 * Watch and share innovations in media-literacy education.

Who Should Attend

The conference is designed for:

 * traditional media strategists, editors and practitioners
 * elected officials, political and public-policy strategists
  info-tech pioneers and entrepreneurs
 * operators of local-news websites and blogs
  podcasters and vloggers dealing with news, political and public-
  policy issues.
 * academic researchers and students
 * citizens who want "how-to" knowledge about participatory media
  anyone interested in new innovations in web, print, film and audio
  news creation, delivery and financing.

Read the full announcement here:

   http://www.mediagiraffe.org/invite-dowire

Sincerely,

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
http://www.dowire.org <- Visit the new blog/wiki/groups site.

P.S. With my new DoWire Groups site, I am considering a new "Citizen Media"
online group (e-mail list/web forum combo). Let me know if you are
interested: clift at publicus.net

Steven Clift - clift at publicus.net

   Web:  http://publicus.net
  Blog:  http://dowire.org/notes