[Air-l] hesitations, hedges

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 12 09:32:12 PDT 2006

More specifically, look at the conversation analytic literature that considers
the notion of 'dispreference' - I'm currently using the framework to look at
the same thing in online talk.

Some good references are the following two texts, which each have nice
sections on preference and includes hedges and hesitations and palliatives and
the like:

Heritage, J.C. (1984). Garfinkel and ethnomethodology.
Levinson, S.C. (1983). Pragmatics.

Also, these two articles give more specific information on what your student
is probably looking at:

Pomerantz, A.M. (1984). Agreeing and disagreeing with assessments: Some
features of preferred/dispreferred turn shapes. In J.M. Atkinson and J.C.
Heritage (Eds.) Structures of social action: Studies in conversation analysis

Sacks, H. (1987). On the preference for agreement and contiguity in sequences
in conversation. In G. Button and J.R.E. Lee (Eds.) Talk and social
organization (pp. 54-69).

By the way, feel free to have your student get in touch if he has any
questions.

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~raclaw/

Quoting Mark Warschauer <markw at uci.edu>:

* Try Conversation Analysis.  (Though for one criticism of CA's
* approach on this, see http://linguistlist.org/issues/14/14-2635.html).
* Mark
*
*
* >Hello,
* >
* >I have a student interested in theories that explain the use of
* >hesitations, hedges and the like. He has encountered them in his
* >transcriptions and become interested in how to analyze them.
* >
* >What literature should I point him to? I don't know this area at all.
* >
* >Thank you.
* >
* >Bonnie
* >
* >Bonnie A. Nardi
* >School of Information and Computer Sciences
* >University of California, Irvine
* >Irvine, CA 92697-3425
* >(949) 824-6534
* >www.artifex.org/~bonnie/
*
*
* --
* Mark Warschauer
* Associate Professor, Dept. of Education and Dept. of Informatics
* University of California, Irvine
* tel: (949) 824-2526,  fax: (949) 824-2965
* markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/faculty/markw
* is provided by the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
* Subscribe, change options or unsubscribe at: