[Air-l] Turn-taking in email

Quentin (Gad) Jones quentin.jones at njit.edu
Sun Apr 16 16:18:36 PDT 2006

Turn-Taking in discourse is a big topic for communication theorists,
and for those interested in CMC/CSCW/Social Computing.

Chat and the problems of forced turn taking should be examined: e.g.

Multichat: Persistent, Text-as-you-type Messaging in a Web Browser for
Fluid Multi-Person Interaction and Collaboration, by Jonathan Schull,
Mike Axelrod and Larry Quinsland at HICSS 2006.

Herring, S. Interactional Coherence in CMC. JCMC 4 (4)
June 1999 - also her 2000 HICSS paper on the topic of IRC and turn taking.

Then their is the idea of web space being discourse and dance space
between partners with asynchronous turns -

Rosemarie L. Coste - 2000, "Fighting Speech With Speech: David Duke,
the Anti-Defamation League, Online Bookstores, and Hate Filters ",
Proceedings of the 33rd Hawai'i International Conference on System
Sciences, IEEE

"Profiles as Conversation: Networked Identity Performance on
Friendster."   danah boyd and Jeffrey Heer. In Proceedings of the
Hawai'i International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-39) ,
Persistent Conversation Track. Kauai, HI: IEEE Computer Society.
January 4 - 7, 2006.

Hope that helps.