[Air-l] hesitation with a note about hedging

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Apr 12 19:18:08 PDT 2006

so I'm going off of internet research to hit some of my db's
citations of hesitation below, the first describes hesitation in
life, in relation to Latour and Tarde, where Tarde recognizes
hesitation as somewhat different than an inferred position that
Durkheim might take.    The second is philosophy and discusses how
hesistation can be an object of belief itself.     The third
discusses hesitation in theoretical works, as a position of theory.
The fourth is very long, but discusses hesitation in relationship to
dramatic discourse and what it means to pause and hesitate in drama.
The 5th gives an example of how to code discourse and specifically
code it for hesitation.  The 6th discusses Keith Ansell Pearson's
concept of the hesitation of things.   and finally, some of the work
of Boltanski and Thevenot describes how hesitation affects the
outcomes of games.   I tried to stick to people that actually
conceptualized hesitation.   I can't really do hedges very well
because that is a popular name.  Hedging though brings up all kinds
of interesting material in relation to cognition, so that is where
i'd look.

1: METAPHORS OF THE SOCIAL
VIC SEIDLER
20/03/04
Paper delivered as part of the CSISP 'Embodied Psyches/Life Politics'
seminar series, Monday
10th May 2004

2: Why-Questions
SYLVAIN BROMBERGER
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

3: The Theoretical Hesitation: Benjamin's
Sociological Predecessor
Fredric Jameson

4: Cultural awareness and language awareness
based on dialogic interaction with texts
in foreign language learning
Written by:
Anne-Brit Fenner,
Department of Education, University of Bergen, Norway
Marina Katnić-Bakaršić,
Department of Slavonic Languages and Literatures,
University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Mária Kostelníková
Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Education,
Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Hermine Penz,
Department of English, University of Graz, Austria

Council of Europe Publishing

5:EXPRESSIVE & EVOCATIVE
FUNCTIONS
AND