[Air-l] hesitations, hedges

Pam Brewer pam.brewer at murraystate.edu
Thu Apr 13 06:34:27 PDT 2006

Bonnie--

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Mackiewicz and Riley
published an article in a 2003 issue of Technical Communication entitled
"The Editor as Diplomat: Linguistic Strategies for Balancing Clarity and
Politeness."  While this article addresses editing and draws some
conclusions that a team from Texas Tech is studying, the article does take a
thorough look at hedges, downtoners, etc. and has a good bibliography.

Best,
Pam

Pamela Estes Brewer
Lecturer -- Coordinator, Professional Writing
Department of English and Philosophy
Murray State University
PhD Student in Technical Communication & Rhetoric, Texas Tech University
270-809-4719
fax 270-809-4545
pam.brewer at murraystate.edu

On March 1, 2006, Murray State University will begin moving all its phone
numbers in the 762 exchange to an 809 exchange. My new numbers will be
270-809-4719 (office), and 270-809-4545 (FAX).