[Air-l] cyberspace romance

mwhitty m.whitty at qub.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 08:26:38 PDT 2006

Dear all,

I've just been persuaded to self-promote my new book, although I am quite
embarrassed doing so.

At any rate, for those of you who might be interested

The book is titled 'Cyberspace Romance: The Psychology of online
relationships and is available from the publisher's website:
http://www.palgrave.com/products/Catalogue.aspx?is=1403945144

and can be purchased from Amazon.

Here is the book's blurb:

Description
How do people play at love in cyberspace? How are these relationships
different and similar to the way individuals initiate, develop and maintain
offline relationships? Monica Whitty and Adrian N. Carr address each of
these questions and argue that cyberspace should not be perceived as a
conglomeration of bodiless selves. In this book, cyberspace is depicted as a
potentially more playful space than the offline world. Nonetheless, despite
the liberating qualities cyberspace has to offer, cyberspace can be
problematic for some - especially when individuals venture too far into the
realms of fantasy. Through examples of Whitty's own research on
cyber-relationships, online dating, Internet infidelity, cyber-harassment,
and presentation of self online, as well as drawing from other people's
research, the positive and negative aspects of online relating are
presented. Cyberspace Romance is an invaluable resource for anyone studying
or conducting research on Internet relationships or interested in their own
or others' online romances.

and the Table of Contents:

Contents
Cyber-relationships, The Story so Far
>From Courtly Love to Cyber-flirting
Playing at Love: Winnicott and Potential Space
Object Engagement and Dysfunctional Aspects of Relating Online
Cyber-cheating: Can We Really be Liberated in Cyberspace?
Deviance and Cyberspace
Online Dating: Shopping for Love on the Internet
Characters and Archetypes in Cyberspace
Visions of the Future

Kind Regards,

Monica