[Air-l] request: free nvivo equivalent

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Sat Apr 1 16:22:37 PST 2006

In short, I haven't yet found a free or open equivalent.

But you may find either or both of these interesting/useful for your
purpose:

Ames, S. L., P. E. Gallaher, P. Sun, S. Pearce, J.
B. Zogg, B. R. Houska, B. C. Leigh, and A. W. Stacy. "A
Web-Based Program for Coding Open-Ended Response
Protocols." Behavior Research Methods 37, no. 3
(2005): 470-479.

"The coding program is housed on a Linux server and
is implemented with PHP and MySQL. It is optimized
for use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser
and may be accessed at
http://ipr1.hsc.usc.edu/codedemo/. The program is
password protected, and visitors may log on
using "admin" as both the username and password to
test the application."

and a pretty comprehensive coverage of Qualitative Data Analysis
(QDA) tools here:

http://onlineqda.hud.ac.uk/

Cheers,
James