[Air-l] searching for genre-specific blogs

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:55:48 PDT 2006

I'm curious as to what difficulties you've had with Technorati on this
count, since it seems pretty well suited to what you are trying for.
It's not representative of all blogs, but it is non-representative in
interesting ways.

The greatest difficulty, I think, is that there is no guarantee at all
that the content of a blog is related to a particular group or ethnic
identification. Profiles are available on several platforms, but these
rarely have people self-identifying by ethnicity.

Of course with any of these, you are tied to keyword choices. Another
approach might be to use key-sites rather than key words, if there are
a set of websites that are likely to be linked to from the group you
are trying to define. That is, linking patters to a small group of
sites might form a tacit community of sorts.

Finally, you could draw on an explicit, "ready made" self-identifying
community of bloggers. I am not aware of one that is specifically
inclusive of Asian Americans, as opposed to a subset thereof, or a
broader Asian focus (e.g., http://ricebowljournals.com/).

All that to say, I don't have a particularly good answer, but would be
interested in how you end up tackling the problem.

- Alex