[Air-l] FW: Scientific Internet Research; Courses & Books?

R.Mabry-Hubbard (UMC Student) ryh352 at mizzou.edu
Tue Apr 25 13:53:13 PDT 2006

Until their NSF funding ran out in 2002, the University of Maryland
sponsored a summer workshop called “Scientific Research on the Internet”
(WEBuse Workshop at http://www.webuse.umd.edu/).

I am a graduate student looking to find a similar professional-development
(or graduate credit) research methods seminar as coursework towards my area
of specialization – technology and rural communities.

I talked to the former director of the WEBuse; but he was not aware of any
similar “credentialed” opportunities and he acknowledged, there is still
demand based on requests they still receive.

I have several questions:

(1) Is anyone on the listserv aware of courses in the United States or
online graduate courses in an English-speaking country dealing with Internet
research methods?

(2) I am also developing a basic e-research course for beginning
undergraduate students and the professor I am working with (at another
college), he and I have not had much luck finding a good primer for the
course – need not be a textbook.  I have even reviewed some e-commerce
marketing books without much success.  I would be interested in any
suggestions.  The focus of the class will be “using the library (electronic
resources) to do a basic social science undergraduate research paper.” The
first time the course is offered, it will be delivered in a blended learning
environment with the intention of porting most of the future sections
completely online, the fastest growing source of their new students.

(3) I’m putting together a summer reading list; I would be interested in any
suggestions for myself regarding Internet research – especially --
qualitative methods for studying online discussion groups; studying online
socio-emotional support groups; and cybersociology.

In advance, thank you.

------
Robin Y. Mabry Hubbard, MBA, EdS
Rural Sociology Doctoral Student - Community Informatics
Email: ryh352 at mizzou.edu  My Homepage: http://www.rrchubbard.org
Murphy's Law: There is never enough time to do it right; but there is always
time to do it over
~ Our Future arrived Yesterday!  ~
[I am not inviting any postmodernist to my party!]