[Air-l] hesitations, hedges

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 14:02:00 PDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Bonnie Nardi wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for all these great suggestions.
>
> Am I right that most of these papers concern turn taking? My student
> is interested in how people hesitate in expressing ideas rather than
> in conversational back and forth.

Everything in conversation is a turn-taking phenomenon in one way or
another. For instance, due to the rules of turn-taking, one cannot
hesitate at many transition relevance places in a conversation without
running the risk of loosing the chance to take a turn unless one does
something to indicate one wants to talk but needs to hesitate. Further,
what one's hesitation means depends at the very least on the
immediately prior turn in the conversation. Of course, this assumes
that your student is looking at conversations and similar interactional
things.
--Christian Nelson