[Air-l] cyberwars

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Apr 21 21:34:20 PDT 2006

A kindred, never-ending computing war is bwetween the centralizers (big
IBM iron in the old days; sealed PCs on server networks now) vs
decentralizers (DOS, Windows before .Net).

Rob Kling wrote eloquently about this in the 1970s.
I'm on hoiday now and don't have his papers accessible, but the
Sociological Rob article that I and Roxanne Hiltz wrote a while back for a
joournal contains a summary and references. It's also on my website.

 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php