[Air-l] Internet ethics

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 24 13:58:14 PDT 2006

All,

Ultimately, I don't think a "one size fits nobody approach" will work. What happens when most mobiles have cheap or free web access? Last weeks episode of "Lost" on your iPod anyone?

I seem to recall that there is some research in Organizational Communication that shows that taking regular small breaks (NOT watching an entire quarter of basketball!) of non-work activities increases productivity. Simply put, it is not reasonable, practical, or productive to demand 100% of on-the-clock time to be spent working.

Besides, if you are accomplishing what is expected of you, what's the problem?

On a more specific ethical note, does the mayor in this case get monitored or reprimanded when he is checking his stock portfolio on city time? Is the CEO monitored and does she get suspended for booking her personal vacation (or more likely having the assistant do it on company time) online? This, I think, is the bigger "if your prick me do I not bleed?" ethical questions when it comes to such workplace rules, especially concerning surveillance. What is the bigger threat, mail-room person stealing office supplies or CFO embezzling millions?

I would guess that a degree of internet noodling will be come common place and, just like extended lunch and coffee breaks or leaving too early, enforcement will kick in when there is a problem.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington