[Air-l] Textbook Recomendation?

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 4 18:20:34 PDT 2006

Hello All,

I am teaching a summer course, COM 373 Navigating Information Networks for Mass Media, and would like come suggestions for a textbook.

I have used "Find it Online" but my students hated it, some of the content was pointless, and the typos were completely out of control. Just sloppy.

I was thinking I would like a good basic "how to" undergrad research text that lays out the fundamentals as well as dealing with using the internet and databases to get information and/or do general, academic, and journalistic research. I have supplemental readings for a lot of the technical materials and exercises, but I find that the lack of basic skills and concepts really undercuts student's ability to be successful.

A tidy little tome would be ideal. I'd love to hear from any of you who have taught similar courses. I was looking at:

Communication Research - Strategies and Sources (with InfoTrac)
6th Edition
Rebecca B. Rubin - Kent State University
Alan M. Rubin - Kent State University
Linda J. Piele - University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
0534564860

as a possibility. Has anyone used it?

Thanks,

-TED