[Air-l] studies on Local community strength by internet access

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 12 15:50:48 PDT 2006

Hampton, K. & Wellman, B. (2003). Neighboring in Netville: How the Internet
Supports Community and Social Capital in a Wired Suburb. City & Community,
2(4), 277-311.

This paper looks at a "natural experiment" where half the new suburb was
given high speed internet for free while the other half only had optional
dial-up. The ones who had internet were more likely to neighbor, be social
and engage in other positive community oriented activity.

Keith is probably doing more work along these lines with his eNeighbors
project.  Keith Hampton <khampton AT asc DOT upenn DOT edu>

Take care,
BERNiE

I received a message from Peter Timusk at approximately 4/12/06 5:15 PM.
Above is my reply.