[Air-l] Citing Podcasts

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:27:00 PDT 2006

On 8/1/06, David Brake <d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> Negroponte, N. (2006) "Ted Talk: Nicholas Negroponte". in New York,
> February, 2006,   http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/
>
> But that doesn't tell you it is a podcast and crucially it doesnt
> tell you that the part I cited is 5 minutes, 42 seconds in. This
> useful guide to Harvard citation http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/library/
> using/harvard_system.html says BS:5605:1990 http://www.mamc.ac.in/
> British.pdf doesnt include recommendations for electronic sources. Is
> there an advanced Harvard Style Lab somewhere coming up with
> standards for this stuff? What would you do? Should I just make up my
> own style?

I think that David's question worthwhile, and it comes up in citing
blogs and other electronic media as well. In fact, we have earlier
threads here, I believe, about whether citations to web sites should
be by site, or by individual page, or some other indicator.

I think what is most important about a citation is findability. So,
generally, if I can find the resource at a URL, I'll list the URL. But
given the capriciousness of URLs, more information is often needed as
a "backup," if this original citation fails.

For net resources I *expect* are likely to change, I have often
considered citing a copy of the page archived by the Internet Archive,
or my archived copy of the page. Or, alternatively, provide a link to
a copy of the bibliography that can be automatically or manually
updated. If the latter were used, it could also provide something like
a trackback mechanism to do links forward.

- Alex

--
//
// This email is