[Air-l] statcan study

Ledbetter, Andrew Michael aledbett at ku.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:51:27 PDT 2006

Since I think I am the poster that Dr. Wellman suggests got the operationalization of "heavy user" wrong, and for the sake of clarity...

Page 8 of the report (http://www.statcan.ca/english/research/56F0004MIE/56F0004MIE2006013.pdf) states, "For the purpose of comparison, respondents were grouped according to time spent on the Internet in the following manner: . . . and those who spent more than one hour on personal use of the Internet ('heavy users')." The tables on page 9 and page 10 of the report repeat this operationalization of heavy user as one or more hours of Internet use (the abstract does as well).

It thus appears to me that 1+ hours is the correct value, not the 2+ hours that Dr. Wellman stated. If I am missing something here, then of course please show me where I am misunderstanding the report.

Andrew M. Ledbetter
Ph.D. Candidate and Graduate Teaching Assistant
Department of Communication Studies
University of Kansas