[Air-l] More on qualitative analysis

Elizabeth Van Couvering e.j.van-couvering at lse.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 01:57:40 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Following up a little on the previous discussion -For my thesis, I
used atlas.ti to code and analyse my interview transcripts.  Last
year, though, I bought a new Mac iBook which, while great for
everything else, seems a bit disadvantaged when it comes to
qualitative analysis software.  I'm trying to find a decent and
affordable program to use for some smaller projects since our
institution only provides PC software, and I wondered if the list
could help.

So far, I've been to the CAQDAS site at Surrey and looked at their
most recent review.  They suggest Transana (free and open source) and
HyperResearch (emphatically NOT free).  Transana is a big bear of a
program, meant specially to handle audio and video files, but I've
yet to get it to work on my system, despite learning more about video
encoding than I ever really wanted to know.  HyperResearch is outside
my budget.  I've seen another program called TAMS but it looks like
its text-only analysis.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Elizabeth

PS I've also tried atlas.ti running on virtual PC on my Mac
previously, while still doing my research work, but it was so slow I
broke down and cried and then went to a public PC at the university
and did my coding there.

Elizabeth Van Couvering
PhD Student
Department of Media & Communications