[Air-l] maybe a silly question.. but

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Sun Aug 27 14:24:15 PDT 2006

A short, potentially uneducated answer. I've not used livejournal but
would define YOUtube as more social media than it is networking. It is
interesting that podcast aggregating sites like odeo and podshow use
similar 'friend' dimensions but I go to them for content, rather than
networking. My feeling is that this entourage approach to media will
become more prevalent as media rolls out along the long tail and we
explore it through the tastes of people who follow, like or are friends
with the people who like, follow or are friends with.

I'm still working this one through as well so I'm throwing this
part-baked notion into the pot to see if it vaguely helps an what
everyone else makes of it

Rich

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio and Community Radio Manager
Admissions Tutor: Media Production (TV/Radio) and Broadcast Journalism
How to contact me:
The Media Centre, University of Sunderland, SR6 0DD.
Call: +44 (0)191 515 2239 Text: "studyradio" to 83252 (costs 25p)
Web: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio + Please visit: http://www.radiostudiesnetwork.org.uk

radhika gajjala wrote:
> why not ask, right?
>
> Is livejournal a "social networking system"? why or why not? What
> about You tube?

University of Sunderland - life-changing: see our new TV advert at
http://www.lifechangingsunderland.com or http://www.sunderland.ac.uk