[Air-l] maybe a silly question.. but

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Sun Aug 27 18:28:40 PDT 2006

>A more complex question are these sites social navigation systems or
>do they have that potential? Are these better than the simple
>"recommend a book" or "what others have bought" systems like at
>Amazon.com

I'd say they have that potential. Thinking about my own experience
with last.fm, it offers me recommendations based on algorithmic
analysis not unlike "what others have bought" (in this case "what
others have listened to"), but I often prefer the recommendations
that were sent person-to-person because an individual looked at my
taste and thought I'd like a particular song or artist.

>If a music group can become a hit on myspace does this mean social
>navigation was how they did it?

No. But it probably didn't hurt. I find it interesting how music
groups who become hits on MySpace often seek to distant themselves
from MySpace ("it was the touring that did it!") as if to make more
'credible' stakes to their fame.

Nancy