[Air-l] Four nations commit to laptop program

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Tue Aug 1 12:13:16 PDT 2006

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1997037,00.asp?kc=EWNAVEMNL080106EOAD

Four Countries Commit to Buy 4 Million Linux-Powered OLPC Laptops
By DesktopLinux.com Staff <http://www.desktoplinux.com/>  at eWeek.com
August 1, 2006

A spokesperson for the One Laptop Per Child program reported July 31 that
the countries of Nigeria, Brazil, Argentina and Thailand have each committed
to purchase 1 million Linux laptops through the U.S.-based program.

Several media outlets reported last week that Nigeria had committed to
buying 1 million of the laptops, and others reported (incorrectly) that $1
million worth of computers‹or about 10,000 machines‹had been requested by
the African nation.

OLPC Program Director for Middle East and Africa Khaled Hassounah confirmed
to DesktopLinux.com July 31 that Nigeria has indeed committed to buy 1
million machines, and then revealed that Brazil, Argentina and Thailand also
have placed similar commitments.

"We have not finalized the deal with the Nigerian government yet, but we are
in the process of doing so," Hassounah told DesktopLinux.com. "The person
who announced the Nigerian government's commitment to buying the laptops
[Professor Ernest Ndukwe] is a key member of the Nigerian Task Force working
with OLPC on bringing laptops to Nigerian children." "We are actively moving
ahead with Brazil, Argentina and Thailand. [Other countries] are being
considered," Hassounah said.

The OLPC <http://laptop.org/> aims to distribute‹free of charge‹millions of
Linux-based laptop computers, complete with their own power sources, to
needy children in developing countries around the world.

Janna Anderson
Elon University