[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Aug 4 14:28:04 PDT 2006

Umm, I don't think we dodged it, it is just that it can't be
described to you given the framework that you require.  It exists,
you can see it all over.  The clearest physical expression of
collective identity is usually expressed relation to in
architecture, local customs, and related activities.   Do three
friends always hug when they meet, what always happens in groups that
takes no individual decision... tons of things.  Some families have
collective identities, some schools do, and almost all military units
do too, which was one of the major military critiques of the 'army of
one' campaign.
On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Ellis Godard wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>> You can't get there from where you are.   you have to toss the
>> atomism and start considering that there are molecules and moles
>> which act fundamentally different as a whole than as a collection of
>> atoms.
>
> I'm of course not questioning that collective behavior is distinct
> from
> atomistic or unitary behavior. I'm questioning whether "collective
> identity"
> meaningfully exists, anywhere - a question you and Elijah both
> dodged, even
> though I invited a half dozen kinds of possible responses. For example
> (again) what is the "collective identity" of this list?
>
> -eg

jeremy hunsinger
Assistant Professor
Pratt Institute