[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sun Aug 6 09:14:28 PDT 2006

Yes/no.

"Collective identity", in the sense that you seem to be requesting
support/affirmation/accolades for, depends on the recognition of
'solitaries', small groups, and ever-larger collectives - as well as the
boundaries between them.

I would put forth that, first, this is not the only sense in which one can
consider collective identity.  As Jeremy says - it is hard to get there
from here, both cognitively and philosophically.

Second, there are ways of knowing or establishing or promoting 'identity'
that don't rely on atomic/bounded/holarchic fences (or rupturings) for
their own promotion.

Some folks from IS would say that things like faceted classification are
(an) answer to this kind of boundary-work.  Provided that one understands
that "an" answer is what you're going for, this works.  It isn't the only
answer, though - other options, other answers, have always-already been
ripe for the uptake.

Collective identity?  Yes.  Thousands of them.

Does the aoir listserv have a collective identity?  Well, probably several
hundred thousand different possibilities...

Are any of *those* meaningful?  Contextually, yes, probably.

How to evaluate strength-of-meaning for individual contexts, rather than
getting stuck in philosophical morass, is an individual problem.

Even our generic topic on the list, "internet research", means more things
to people on the list than we have words to describe.

--elijah