[Air-l] qualitative analysis of discussion board postings

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 10 03:39:47 PDT 2006

this "grounded theory has been busted for the nonsense that it is"
sounds suspiciously like what i termed  methodological ideology.  If
it isn't ideological, perhaps it is just a form of methodological
orthodoxy.  I'm not going to say that grounded theory is good or
great personally, as i've only read a few texts and never used it, it
does seem to be one of the major theories that frames qualitative
analysis.  I think the key to grounded theory is to realize that is
designed to discover theories, which is a problematic concept in some
ways.   if you aren't in the process of 'theory development' then it
might not be the model for you.   in any case, there is a ton of
dissertations, and related 'quality' scholarship in using grounded
theory that to the casual observer indicates that it has some
usefulness.  i'd propose suspending judgement until sufficient
citations are provided.

There are many ways of thinking and analyzing the world that would be
antagonistic toward grounded theory.   i can imagine if one is a
practice-turn ethnographer that the facility for theory discovery
seems less necessary in the face of the brute facts of the
experiences that you describe.  But, I don't know.

i think the best way to think of methods is methodological pluralism,
which in my mind argues that there are many ways to access knowledge
and that the knowledge generated is always the same sort about the
same thing, but in the end the application of one suite of
methodoligical tools to its appropriate data is as valuable as
another suite and that any given analysis is likely to be limited by
the methods used.

On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:11 AM, Denise N. Rall wrote:

> Dear Ulla et al.-
>
> Thanks for the framing theory. I was going to
> recommend *anything but* grounded theory - as Georgina
> Born said recently in Masterclass (sorry but she's
> cool) - "grounded theory has been busted for the
> nonsense it is" but unfortunately I forget who said
> this.  She's an ethnographer so there might be some
> bias built in there.
>
> Cheers, Denise

Jeremy Hunsinger
Pratt Institute
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal