[Air-l] qualitative analysis of discussion board postings

Drew Ross drewross at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:22:53 PDT 2006

Two things:

(1) I think also there appears to be a colossal misunderstanding of what
grounded theory and CAQDAS entail-- they are NOT about counting frequencies
or events-- that is, by definition, *quantitative* research.

'Sense making,' as Ulla puts it, is precisely what grounded theory is all
about. It is also what CAQDAS is designed to assist with, mainly as a tool
to help organize and structure very large or unwieldy datasets.

(2) Yanuar Nugroho's posting here is an almost verbatim reproduction of
Coffey, et al.'s article: http://www.socresonline.org.uk/1/1/4.html#top,
which interestingly, is not cited in that message.

Drew Ross
Visiting Research Fellow
Oxford University, OUDES