[Air-l] air-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 23

Tama Leaver tama at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 16:32:09 PDT 2006

(Re: 1. maybe a silly question.. but (radhika gajjala) thread)

Hi Radhika and AoiRers,

I was having a very similar conversation about Livejournal vs YouTube
(vs MySpace) and the vague consensus we left with was the livejournal
was a social networking system since it is often (primarily?) used as
conversation space, as emphasised by the Friends lists (which is
basically an embedded RSS reader with fancy livejournal avataring).
YouTube wants to be a social networking system where conversations
flow across the various YT videos, but it's in a pretty primitive
stage.  This is particularly evident since the most popular
YouTube-related social networking happens on a different website
focused on YouTube (the YouTube Talk site: http://youtubetalk.com/).
Sadly, MySpace seems to offer social networking functionality beyond
YouTube (since many, many YouTube directors points their
fans/commentators to their MySpace pages for networking purposes) and
MySpace is probably the best popular middle-ground for media and
social networking, despite the fact that its design can, at best, be
described as horrifically ugly!

Just my ten cents ...

Btw, as an Australian AoIRer, I'm very much looking forward to seeing
many of you in sunny BrisVegas in less than a month!

Cheers,
Tama

--
Tama Leaver
Centre for Advancement of Teaching and Learning (M400)
email: tama.leaver at uwa.edu.au
blog: http://tama.edublogs.org

CRICOS PROVIDER No. 00126G

Quoting air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org: