[Air-l] from air-l list manager re: HTML vs. plain text

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Thu Aug 3 22:47:45 PDT 2006

I'm about to be away from my home computer for a few days and have only
spotty internet access, and before I leave I think it might be useful to
post here to let everyone know that, for a number of reasons, there is a
size limit on air-l posts.  Many people in the past several days have
greatly exceeded the limit, and posts larger than 10 KB automatically are
held for approval rather than being directly posted to air-l.  This means
that messages sent in HTML or other formats than plain text may end up
languishing for hours, or in some cases, even a day, before I see them and
can let posters know what the problem is.  Excessively large posts are
rejected, and the poster receives the following message:

"If your message was rejected for length because you included most or all of
an air-l digest in a response, please edit the excerpted material and
re-send your post.  If it was overly long because it was posted in HTML or
MIME, then please try not to post in HTML/MIME - it messes up the digest
version of AIR-L and our web archive. This is not a rejection of your
posting, only its format, so please re-post in plain text. Instructions for
almost all e-mail programs can be found at
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html.

"Another reason for not using HTML or MIME is that such postings tend to be
inordinately large. We don't accept postings larger than 10 KB. If you have
information in excess of that limit, a link to a relevant web page is
often a better option."

So if you want to ensure that your message appears on air-l in a timely
fashion, please send it in plain text.

Thanks,
Holly Kruse
List Manager