[Air-l] Audio analysis methodology

Rowin Young rowin.young at strath.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 02:45:47 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone could point to any academic references on
methodology to help my colleague with her request:

"We are putting together a bid looking at knowledge flows and both money
and time are very tight. What we plan to do is carry out some case
studies ~6, with 4-6 interviews per case to examine how individuals and
firms interact with HE to exchange and develop new knowledge.

Interviews will be digitally recorded. Alaysis would be by coding by two
researchers, looking for emerging patterns. Cross case comparisons would
then be carried out. We do not plan to use discourse analysis, unless
you really think we should?

My problem is if we first have to transcribe all the interviews it is
either too time consumming or to costly to outsource. What I was looking
for was some kind of reference to justify audio only analysing the
recordings."

Many thanks for any advice!

Best wishes,

Dr Rowin Young