[Air-l] Statistics Canada - General Social Survey: The Internet andthe way we spend our time

Julie Cohen jec at law.georgetown.edu
Wed Aug 2 10:36:04 PDT 2006

In a forthcoming paper in the Columbia Law Review, I argue that the
conceptualization of the Internet as a heterotopian "other space" that
is widespread within the legal and policy literature works all sorts of
mischief.  This study seems to be a classic example of that process at
work:  It presumes that if one is "on the Internet" one is somewhere
else, not "here."  To that extent it diverts attention from more useful
inquiry into how ICTs/networked communications
technologies/whatever-you-want-to-call-them* change processes that
remain social.

(Paper is at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=898260
if anyone cares...)

Julie